Welcome to the first post on the Kootenay EV Family website. Head over to the ‘About‘ page to learn more about me and my family.
A life-change in the spring of 2014 meant that our family had to become a two-car family to support my 70 km commute (more on this in a future post). After months of “spreadsheeting”, we decided to take the plunge into electric vehicle (EV) ownership.
I spent a lot of time researching EVs and have had a number of insights during the first several months of ownership. I decided to start this blog to share my experiences and those of my family – my hope is that it serves as a resource of sorts for those curious about EVs and considering purchasing one.
EVs are still very much a novelty in BC, especially in the interior areas where infrastructure is quite limited; however, they have become quite popular in other places, such as Norway. I fully expect to see many more EVs in BC in the coming decade.
I plan to cover a wide-range of topics in the coming months to years. A small sampling of topics:
- the decision process on whether to buy an EV in the first place
- living with an EV (what is range anxiety? is it a hassle to plug the car in every night? EV driving pleasures)
- maintenance for an EV (very little!)
- charging an EV (what the heck is Level 1, Level 2, Quick Charge, CHAdeMO?; where should charging stations be placed?; workplace charging)
- energy efficiency, GHG, where does (or should) the electricity come from?
- what is better than an EV? your bicycle!
- destination trips (including how I drove our Leaf from Vancouver to Nelson)
- outdoor recreation
So, if you like what you see so far, consider subscribing to the blog to receive further updates as they are posted.
He is very passionate about the future of energy generation & usage.He prefers bikes to cars, but acknowledges that Canadian cities have been developed primarily with cars in mind, so if we're going to drive, let's make them all EVs!(But let's get EV buses and take those where possible first.)
Latest posts by kootenay andrew (see all)
- Kootenay fast chargers:first trip! (and what they mean to short-range EVs) - January 30, 2018
- Cost update – 3.5 years and 135,888 km - November 21, 2017
- Green Energy and Home Show 2017 - October 4, 2017