Welcome to the first post on the Kootenay EV Family website. Head over to the ‘About‘ page to learn more about me and my family.
A life-change in the spring of 2014 meant that our family had to become a two-car family to support my 70 km commute (more on this in a future post). After months of “spreadsheeting”, we decided to take the plunge into electric vehicle (EV) ownership.
I spent a lot of time researching EVs and have had a number of insights during the first several months of ownership. I decided to start this blog to share my experiences and those of my family – my hope is that it serves as a resource of sorts for those curious about EVs and considering purchasing one.
EVs are still very much a novelty in BC, especially in the interior areas where infrastructure is quite limited; however, they have become quite popular in other places, such as Norway. I fully expect to see many more EVs in BC in the coming decade.
I plan to cover a wide-range of topics in the coming months to years. A small sampling of topics:
- the decision process on whether to buy an EV in the first place
- living with an EV (what is range anxiety? is it a hassle to plug the car in every night? EV driving pleasures)
- maintenance for an EV (very little!)
- charging an EV (what the heck is Level 1, Level 2, Quick Charge, CHAdeMO?; where should charging stations be placed?; workplace charging)
- energy efficiency, GHG, where does (or should) the electricity come from?
- what is better than an EV? your bicycle!
- destination trips (including how I drove our Leaf from Vancouver to Nelson)
- outdoor recreation
So, if you like what you see so far, consider subscribing to the blog to receive further updates as they are posted.